[CentOS] leap second and Centos

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:37:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> said:
>> Does anyone have a succinct summary of how to prove to
>> management-types that a given linux box won't have a problem with the
>> leap second?   Like kernel > some_version, tzdata > some_version,
>> tzdata-java > some_version?
>
> Only way to "prove" it is to set up a test and try it.

I don't think I need to 'prove' that computer programs do repeatable
things.  I just want to know the version numbers that need to be
installed - something relatively easy to check.

> AFAIK there are
> no known issues with an up-to-date system,

Yeah, but you probably would have said that before the 2012 instance
too...  And what I really want to know is how 'out-of-date' a system
can be.

> but that was also true at the
> last couple of leap seconds (the issues that happened were previously
> unknown).

Now we know the issues, and hopefully someone had done the simulation
tests.  I just want to know the specific kernel and package versions
that have the fixes.  But none of the links I've found discussing the
issues boil it down to something a non-geek would want to see.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com