[CentOS] leap second and Centos

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 20:23:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> I don't think I need to 'prove' that computer programs do repeatable
>> things.  I just want to know the version numbers that need to be
>> installed - something relatively easy to check.
> <snip>
> Two other thoughts: first, that it worked perfectly fine the last leap
> second, and second, that ntpd, according to the manpage, can and will
> adjust for seconds of difference with no problem at all, since that's it's
> job.

Errr, no. It did _not_ work fine in the last leap second.  If you run
threaded applications (including, but not exclusively, java) or
applications that called usleep the kernel would spin with 100% CPU
use until you reset the date with some means other than ntp.   How
could you have missed that:
http://www.wired.com/2012/07/leap-second-bug-wreaks-havoc-with-java-linux/.

Every other sysadmin in the world got calls in the middle of the night
to fix their servers.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com