[CentOS] leap second and Centos

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 20:33:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 2:26 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> Every other sysadmin in the world got calls in the middle of the night
>> to fix their servers.
>
> Ah, the system was fine, it was java that failed. And we've got a few
> tomcat apps... but IIRC, we fixed them the next day - we're "tier 3", and
> so "not critical", and could do that.

No, it was _not_ java that failed.  The kernel was spinning instead of
scheduling threads.  Any threaded application would have triggered the
kernel bug - or a usleep() call from a non-threaded application.   By
the time I got the call I was able to google the fix about resetting
the date, but the guys who manage some SuSE systems started earlier
and ended up rebooting some of them - and they don't run java
applications.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com