[CentOS] Fail2Ban Centos 7 is there a trick to making it work?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Mar 9 18:26:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015, John Plemons wrote:

> Been working on fail2ban, and trying to make it work with plain Jane
> install of Centos 7
>
> Current available epel repo version is fail2ban-0.9.1
>
> Looking at the log file, fail2ban starts and stops fine, there isn't output
> though showing any login attempts being restricted.

Here's the setup I use on CentOS 7 machines:

Packages:
* fail2ban-firewalld-0.9.1-2.el7.noarch
* fail2ban-server-0.9.1-2.el7.noarch
* ipset-6.19-4.el7.x86_64
* rsyslog-7.4.7-7.el7_0.x86_64

Basics of jail.local:

----- %< -----
# /etc/fail2ban/jail.local
[DEFAULT]
banaction = firewallcmd-ipset

[sshd]
enabled  = true
maxretry = 2

[sshd-ddos]
enabled  = true
maxretry = 2

Once it's up and running, "sudo ipset list" will give you the status
of IP addresses associated with each ban rule.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W