[CentOS] Centos 6 - Persistant static routes

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 20:12:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

>>> That’s only for RHEL 7: http://goo.gl/AtjIyI
>>
>> Aside from being irritating, that's just wrong.   I'm using that
>> syntax on Centos5,
>

> AH, I think I see what I did wrong.  I put that line in the ifcfg-eth0 when
> according to this page, it goes in the route-eth0 just like the old format.
> I will give that a try tomorrow...

Yes, I missed that part.  You can put a default gateway in the
ifcfg-xxxx file with GATEWAY= but if you have more than one NIC you
should only have one GATEWAY= entry  for the NIC facing that router,
and any routes in a route-xxx file should be through a router where
the next hop specified is reachable though the xxx-named interface.
The routes are added as the interfaces are brought up and will fail if
the gateway specified isn't reachable - as might happen if they need
to go through an interface that isn't up yet.   If you only have one
interface you don't have to worry about that - the default GATEWAY=
can be in ifcfg-eth0 and the static route(s) through a different
router on the same subnet go in route-eth0.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com