[CentOS] KVM guest not running but cannot stop either

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Mar 17 18:28:13 UTC 2015

I am working with a cloned vm.  In the process of (re-)adding an
additional virtio disk I received a notice that the change could not
be made to a running instance.  Which was curious because I had shut
that v down.  Now I cannot get it to start from virt-manager, the run
selection is greyed out.  If I try and pause it from the graphical vm
details interface then I get a message that the vm is not running.

I can start the vm from virsh but I cannot get a console, neither
graphical nor serial.  The thing looks hosed to me but before I blow
it away I though that I would ask is there is anything I can do to
recover it.  I am concerned that this sort of thing is even possible.

Canada  L8E 3C3