[CentOS] Kernel panic when adding partitioned virtio disk

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Mar 18 14:59:30 UTC 2015

Hi, James,

James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have a cloned kvm (that I can now get started following a shutdown
> and reboot of the hypervisor host). When it starts with its original
> virtio disk there is no problem.  If I create a virtio disk and add it
> via virt-manager it also boots without issue, although one cannot see
> the new 'physical' disk.  If I shutodwon the kvm guest, partition the
> new virtio disk, and reboot the guest then I see this:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
<snip>
Now, admittedly, a) I really haven't been following this thread, and b)
haven't worked a lot with VMs, and not with KVM, but could you clarify
something for me? Are you trying to make the virtual root disk larger, or
are you creating a new one, and just adding it the the VM, like mounting
another drive on an existing system? If the latter, can't you mount it?

Oh, and is the new virtual drive formatted?

       mark