[CentOS] Upgrade centos 6 to 7

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Mar 28 00:18:22 UTC 2015

On 03/13/2015 06:50 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I read at
> <http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool>
>
> "Warning: use of this tool is currently not recommended
> as several system-critical packages are of a higher version number
> in CentOS 6.6 than they are in CentOS 7
> so those do not get upgraded correctly.
> This renders yum and several other system tools non-functional."
>
> Is that still the position?
> If so, is it likely to change in the near future?

I would never, ever personally use this tool on a production server of
any kind.

That is a personal opinion.

I would also never, ever upgrade a Windows server from one major version
to another, etc.  I would always do a new install and migrate things to
the new server.  Just too many possible issues otherwise.  I feel that
the same is true for major Linux OS upgrades as well.