[CentOS] RAID1 bootloader configuration on CentOS 6.x and 7

Niki Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Sun Mar 29 09:43:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

The CentOS wiki sports a page about setting up software RAID1 on CentOS
5.x. There's a section about making both members of the RAID1 bootable
by setting up GRUB on both disks.

Now I wonder how this should be done on CentOS 6.x and 7. I have two
sandbox machines in my office, one running a minimal CentOS 6.6, the
other one with a CentOS 7 installation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the setup on CentOS 6.6 is similar
to the one described on the wiki page for CentOS 5.x, something like:

grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
grub> device (hd1) /dev/sdb
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)
grub> quit

Now how would that work with the new GRUB2 under CentOS 7? Or maybe it's
already installed on both disks, but how would I know that?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr