[CentOS] Building a newer glibc RPM for CentOS 6 and installing into an alternate path

Alfred von Campe

alfred at von-campe.com
Mon Mar 30 15:58:25 UTC 2015

We have a third party shared library from a vendor that requires glib 2.15 or newer.  We are using CentOS 6.6 which comes with glibc 2.12, and I know it can’t be replaced as it’s an integral part of the OS.

However, is it possible to build a glib 2.15 RPM from source to be installed in /opt/centos (or somewhere else other than /usr/lib) so that I can link the one application that requires the third party shared library with this version of glib?  If so, does anyone have instructions on how to build such an RPM, or better yet, has already build such an RPM?

Thanks,
Alfred