[CentOS] Building a newer glibc RPM for CentOS 6 and installing into an alternate path

Alfred von Campe alfred at von-campe.com
Tue Mar 31 02:47:24 UTC 2015

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 17:24, Patrick Flaherty <pflaherty at wsi.com> wrote:
>
> Tell your vendor you want a centos 6 version of the library, it's really
> not a huge ask, esp if you are paying them. If they say no, do a new
> install of centos 7 and run it on a different box. It's the only reasonable
> thing to do, and if you do anything else and make anyone else support it,
> you are a bad person.

I’m not quite ready to move to CentOS 7 yet.  I would have to upgrade about
80 desktops, a couple of dozen VMs, and a handful of servers.  That’s after
some extensive testing to make sure all our applications and cross compilers
run on CentOS 7.  I realize the dependency hell a newer version of glib would
cause, but I want to at least try it.

Forget I ever said I wanted to replace glibc.  Assume it’s a different
library or application.  I guess what I really need to know is how to
rebuild a source RPM after modifying the installation path.  A quick
peek at the spec file for glibc did not reveal any easy options, but
then again I don’t really speak the RPM spec file language.

Alfred