[CentOS] Samba shares not appearing

Mon Mar 16 08:59:01 UTC 2015
Niki Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

I'm currently fiddling with Samba, trying to make it work on CentOS 7.
Before that, I ran Samba successfully in a mixed environment with
Slackware64 14.1 on the server and Slackware/Windows Seven on the client
side.

I have three sandbox machines running CentOS 7. One has a minimal
install with only the samba and samba-client packages. Just to be on the
safe side for fiddling, SELinux is disabled, there's no firewall, etc.

I installed the 'samba' and 'samba-client' packages and edited a custom
/etc/samba/smb.conf like this:

# /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Serveur de fichiers AMANDINE
netbios name = AMANDINE
dns proxy = yes
domain master = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 2
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 192.168.2.0/24 localhost
hosts allow = 192.168.2. 127.
security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
unix password sync = no
invalid users = root
encrypt passwords = yes
guest account=smbguest
map to guest = bad user
force group = users
create mode = 0660
directory mode = 0770
load printers = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = yes

[Public]
path = /srv/samba/public
comment = Partage Public
public = yes
only guest = yes
read only = no

[Confidentiel]
path = /srv/samba/confidentiel
comment = Partage Confidentiel
read only = no
invalid users = root nobody smbguest

Note: I explicitly disabled printing because Samba apparently refused to
start, complaining about missing printers. And I did not forget to
create a handful of Samba users (smbguest as well as normal users).

On the server, I have this:

# smbclient -L localhost -N
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.1]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	Public          Disk      Partage Public
	Confidentiel    Disk      Partage Confidentiel
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Serveur de fichiers AMANDINE)
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.1]

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	AMANDINE             Serveur de fichiers AMANDINE
	NAS

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
	WORKGROUP            AMANDINE

On the desktop clients (running CentOS 7 + GNOME), when I click on
"Explorer le réseau" (I think it is "Browse Network" in english), I
don't see any server appearing. The 'samba-client' package is installed
on the clients.

Now I'm a bit clueless. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr