[CentOS] CentOS 7 installer not seeing SATA disks

Tue Mar 17 12:18:07 UTC 2015
Wade Hampton <wadehamptoniv at gmail.com>

I am having trouble with the CentOS 7 installer recognizing
SATA hard disks on a Core 2 motherboard.

Yesterday I was installing CentOS 7 on a core 2 test computer
(rather old machine).  The computer had two SATA drives but the
installer did not allow me to select them, even to repartition them.

During install, I was able to manually run fdisk and sfdisk by accessing a
multiscreen using ctrl-alt-F2, so the kernel did see the drives and the
/dev entries were present.

As a second test, I added a new solid state drive to replace one of
the hard disks.  The installer saw that drive and allowed me to
install on it.

Has anyone seen issues like this?  Is there a simple workaround?

Thanks,
--
Wade Hampton