[CentOS] xfs_quotas, [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 27 19:41:36 UTC 2015

Y'all know I've been fighting this, on and off, for months. The last few
days, I've done a *lot* of googling, and finally got a clue in a reply in
a thread I found, where someone noted that you CANNOT enable things like
pquotas on an XFS filesystem with mount -o remount, you *MUST* umount it,
then mount it. In spite of mount showing the quota for the filesystem, it
never worked. I turned down NFS, umounted the filesystem, mounted it - I'd
had the pquota as one of the options in fstab for weeks - and *poof*, I
could add hard and soft pquotas with no errors.

Nasty gotcha.

Side note: yesterday, I was getting so frustrated that I ran strace
xfs_quota..., and found this interesting tidbit: it was looking for some
message files, libc.mo and xfsprogs.mo. And they don't exist in
/usr/share/locale/en_US. libc.mo is in /usr/share/local/en_GB. And it's in
most of the other languages, but not US English. Then, the xfsprogs.mo
*only* exist in Polish and German support, and nowhere else.

Gotta file a bug report, there.

Hope this helps others trying to implement quotas.

        mark