[CentOS] Looking for a life-save LVM Guru

Mon Mar 2 04:12:31 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> There may be a bit expensive route. Depending on how valuable the data
> are, you may think of contacting professional recovery services. They
> usually take about a Month, they are expensive. Decent ones will be on the
> order of $1000 if it is a single drive. Likely more if it is fatally
> failed RAID.

Actually, I'm probably wrong in the previous post about sending off
the single bad PV for recovery. Your point above made me think, umm
yeah no, pretty much any company specializing in data recovery will
want the entire array/LV backing drives, even the good ones. Same for
RAID, they probably don't want just the dead drive, they want the
whole thing. And they charge by the total size. So, yeah probably a
lot more than $1K.

> If they charge for
> "estimate" even if they tell later they can not recover, this is bad sign.

Agreed.

--
Chris Murphy