[CentOS] installing C7 on a laptop with Win7, dual boot

Tue Mar 3 04:30:40 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 06:05:37PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM, Fred Smith
> <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 03:33:59PM +0100, Mário Barbosa wrote:
>
> >> 1) Install ntfs "support"
> >> yum install -y epel-release
> >> yum install -y ntfs-3g ntfsprogs
> >>
> >> 2) re-run the grub config gen script
> >> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Mário
> >
> > Ah, Mario, that's exactly what I needed to know! thanks!
> >
> > It seems rather like a chicken-and-the-egg problem, which came first?
> > you can't install ntfs-3g until you've installed the system, and it
> > won't notice the windows partition(s) there until you've installed
> > ntfs-3g. But it sets up the grub config at install time, so you get
> > a system apparently without windows support.
> >
> > A newbie (which I'm not) would certainly find this confusing/disheartening.
>
> Ahh yes, good tip.
>
> I'm pretty sure dual-boot on CentOS is de-emphasized or maybe flat out
> not supported, is probably why ntfs3-g isn't on the installer media.
> On Fedora, that's a required based package because of explicit dual
> boot support, and it's necessary because the installer uses ntfs-3g to
> resize the Windows volume to make room for Fedora.

So that's why it worked with F19. I sure didn't know Anaconda could
resize the Windoze partition for you... I did it with gparted-live
when I installed F19.

As my mom used to say: "You live and learn!:

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us