[CentOS] Strange crash after NVidia driver installation from ELRepo

Tue Mar 3 16:08:10 UTC 2015
info at microlinux.fr <info at microlinux.fr>

Le 03.03.2015 17:00, Steve Thompson a écrit :
> On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, info at microlinux.fr wrote:
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> There are multiple nvidia drivers in Elrepo, depending on the model of
> video card. Install and run nvidia-detect to find out which driver you
> need; just installing the "kmod-nvidia" package is not guaranteed to
> give you a working driver.

I used nvidia-detect, and installed kmod-nvidia. Even then, the previous
installation ran kmod-nvidia with success on twin monitors.

And even then, installing the wrong NVidia driver should only result in
X failing to start... but not in a system that won't even *boot*.
Startup messages stopped short immediately, I'd say right after
initramfs was loaded.

On a side note: before using CentOS, I ran Slackware for a few years, so
I know how to configure X and video drivers manually. I've never seen
this sort of weird crash.

Niki