[CentOS] grsync for centos 7

Thu Mar 5 18:03:19 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Francis Gerund <ranrund at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I think it is just too easy to make mistakes with rsync.  And getting it
> "almost correct" can really get you hurt.

What are you trying to do, and what kind of mistakes are you worried
about?   The only things I find confusing are what the trailing /
means on a directory name and that -H isn't bundled with the other
options that -a includes that you normally want.    You can avoid the
ambiguity of whether the top directory or just the contents will be
copied by cd'ing into the source directory and doing:
rsync -av . host:/path/to/dir.   That is, by using '.' as the source
you can't mistakenly create another directory level on the target.
And you just have to remember that it will create the final directory
in the target path if it doesn't exist, but just the final one, not
the whole path.

And if you add -n or --dry-run to the options along with -v, it will
go through the motions and show you the files that would be
transferred without actually doing it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com