[CentOS] Something like apt-cacher for CentOS/RHEL?

Sat Mar 7 08:16:14 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 3/6/2015 10:51 PM, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> For some time I've fiddled with Debian and Ubuntu LTS. There's one
> really nice feature for local networks: apt-cacher, a package proxy
> for APT.
>
> My company is in the remote South French countryside, and more often
> than not, schools and public libraries only have some very limited
> Internet access with relatively low bandwidth, which can make the
> updating process very tedious. A package cache comes in very handy in
> such situation.
>
> Do you know if something like this exists for RPM-based distributions?

I maintain a local mirror of the centos repository with a simple lftp
script, and configure my clients to get updates from this mirror via the
/etc/yum.repos.d files....

my update_morror.sh script that gets run daily from a crontab

    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/local/bin/lftp -c 'open ftp://mirrors.sonic.net && lcd
    /mnt/zbig/mirror && mirror --continue --verbose=1 -x ia64 -x s390 -x
    s390x -x alpha -x SRPMS centos'

If you use this, replace ftp://mirrors.sonic.net with a mirror well
connected to your ISP, chosen from http://www.centos.org/download/mirrors/