[CentOS] Apparent bug in logwatch's reporting of number of email by sendmail

Mon Mar 16 15:25:50 UTC 2015
Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net>

>>> --------------------- sendmail Begin ------------------------
>>>
>>>  STATISTICS
>>>  ----------
>>>
>>>  Bytes Transferred:      5241
>>>  Messages Processed:     2
>>>  Addressed Recipients:   2
>>>
>>>  ---------------------- sendmail End -------------------------
>>>
>>> I'd also like to know where/how logwatch is getting the number for
>>> "Bytes Transferred"; it doesn't seem to correspond to anything.
>>>
>>> So, unless I'm missing something, that's two problems.  Does anyone
>>> see any others...?  or have a plausible explanation for these
>>> inconsistencies?
>>>
>>> tia.
>>
>> Ken, the bytes transferred looks to be the size of the first two log
>> entries (2485 + 2756 = 5241). I'm not sure what logwatch considers
>> individual messages in its sendmail stats, but a unique message ID does
>> indicate a unique message. I also want to point out that if your
>> logwatch is generating an email, this may be counted in the stats also
>> (how, I'm not sure). If logwatch is running at 4AM, when these emails
>> are being sent, I could also anticipate some problems, depending on the
>> timing involved and when log entries are committed to the log. Overall,
>> I wouldn't be concerned.
>>
>> --Blake
>
> My major concern is accuracy.  I mean, there's not much sense in using
> logwatch if what it's telling me is wrong.
>
> The fact that logwatch runs at 4am shouldn't be the problem here, as
> logwatch is culling data from the previous day.  So no conflict there
> (if that's what you were implying).
>
> You're right about the Bytes Transferred number.  "size" is mentioned
> *three* times in maillog.  It's just another curiosity how logwatch
> picked the two numbers that it did.  However it did it, obviously it's
> double-counting, so logwatch is getting that number wrong as well.

Based on the day of 'Mar 12', I agree with the bytes transferred.
Logwatch's sendmail component appears to be using the sendmail queue ID
(vs the message ID) as an identifier for a unique message. Using this
identifier, I too count 2 messages (t2C82IiB027383 and t2C82Bjr027151).
Looking at recipients, I also count two: recip at dest and <recip at dest.com>.

What criteria to use as a means of identifying a unique message is
certainly a choice. I can see how some would choose the MUA's message ID
instead. However, that may be more error prone given that this is not
guaranteed to be a unique value within a data set. Sendmail's queue ID
should be unique in a day's data on a single server.

--Blake