[CentOS] unable to recover software raid1 install

Tue Mar 17 22:28:01 UTC 2015
johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be <johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be>

Hello All,

on a Centos5 system installed with software raid I'm getting:

raid1: raid set md127 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors

md:.... autorun DONE

md: Autodetecting RAID arrays

md: autorun.....

md : autorun DONE

trying to resume form /dev/md1

creating root device

mounting root device

mounting root filesystem

ext3-fs : unable to read superblock

mount : error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: invalid argument

setting up other filesystems.7

setting up new root fs

setuproot: moving /dev failed : no such file of directory

no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults

setuproot : error mounting /proc : no such file or directory

setuproot: error mounting /sys : No such file of directory

Switching to new root and running init

unmounting old /dev

unmounting old /proc

unmounting old /sys

switchroot : mount failed : No such file of directory

kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!

Now I'm trying to boot into rescue mode from a Centos dvd, at the end of the Anaconda sequence I get:

no linux partitions found.

at the command prompt, fdisk -l gives me:

/dev/sdb1*

/dev/sdb2

/dev/sdb3

/dev/sda1*

/dev/sda2

/dev/sda3

I'm not sure where to go from here.

I try chrooting as described here :http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Install_On_Partitionable_RAID1

but chrooting always fails with:

chroot : failed to run command ' /usr/bin/bash" : no such file or directory.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

greetings, Johan