[CentOS] xfs fsck error metadata corruption

Mon Mar 23 23:58:49 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Stephen Drotar <stephen at artifex360.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Everytime I restart Centos 7 I receive a error saying…
>
> metadata is corrupt
>
> and then I need to go through the process of mount and unmount the disk uuid then run
>
> xfs_repair {some uuid}
>         or
> xfs_repair -L {some uuid}   which ultimately corrupts even more.

For future reference -L is a big hammer. If you use it without
explicitly attempting a read-write mount (which a read only mount at
boot time will not do because it's an ro mount by default), it will
almost invariably corrupt the file system worse. My 20/20 hindsight
advise is that if a normal mount fails, and xfs_repair fails, then
follow this:
http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F
And report it to the XFS list straight away. There's a much lower
chance someone on this list will know what to do, than the XFS list.
And BTW neither list can answer your question without a complete dmesg
(not just the trace, it's really annoying to get just the "cut here"
stuff with drive related problems because almost certainly the real
problem occurred before XFS got P.O.d.)

> I’m running on a RAID 1 two identical drives
>
> this has happened more then once and had to reinstall.  Any way I can prevent this when I shutdown or restart?  This happens when I reboot the machine.

Sorry, but you've given us absolutely no information at all. There's
more than 8001 possibilities. So the least you can do is extract the
rdsosreport.txt if you're dropped to a shell. Or boot from install
media, with the rescue boot parameter option, and try mounting the
volume, and if that fails, also xfs_repair and give that result. And
then collect dmesg which will have mount failure info for sure, and
maybe it will also have extra messages from xfs_repair.

> Does the HD need to be completely zero wiped if I do a fresh install?

No the installer uses a combination of wipefs, and will also zero some
important sections that sometimes cause problems down the road if they
aren't zero'd.

--
Chris Murphy