[CentOS] xfs fsck error metadata corruption

Tue Mar 24 04:36:49 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Keith Keller
<kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On 2015-03-23, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>
>> For future reference -L is a big hammer. If you use it without
>> explicitly attempting a read-write mount (which a read only mount at
>> boot time will not do because it's an ro mount by default)
>
> ...for the root filesystem, anyway.  For nonroot filesystems it should
> use whatever flags are set in fstab.  (Granted many boxes likely have /
> as the only on-disk fs.)

Even the root ro to rw remount swicheroo is antiquated. Not ext3/4,
XFS, nor Btrfs want you to run an fsck on an ro mounted volume. Both
e2fsck and xfs_repair use strong wording saying not to do it, to the
point I think it's crusty weirdness to keep the code allowing things
like "dangerous" mode repair. The btrfs check tool on the other hand
will neither check nor repair a mounted volume - it's actually a
nearly last resort there. Usually normal mount fixes things, and if
not the first option is to use -o recovery mount option.

--
Chris Murphy