[CentOS] rsync backup to fileserver - mystery

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Sat May 2 00:05:41 UTC 2015

On Fri, 1 May 2015 19:44:58 -0400
Carl E. Hartung wrote:

> I've seen this when using the -a flag where it turns out there are
> discrepancies in ownerships (user:group, UID:GID) between the local
> source and a remote target. The -a flag intends to preserve user:group
> and timestamps, and despite the explicit 'archive mode' flag, it is
> possible between different implementations of rsync and differences
> between operating systems as well as differences between filesystems,
> that some of those attributes aren't being fully respected and preserved
> as the files are actually being written at the target. This can happen
> silently, so the sender receives no indication that there's a problem.
> In these cases, the next time rsync runs, it simply notes that there
> are differences and copies what it perceives to be the "changed" files
> again.

You have put me on the right track here.  I looked at those files and discovered that they are all dated Dec 27, 1903 on my computer, and Feb 7, 2040 on the fileserver.

Interesting.  I guess the source archive that I copied those pdf's from must have had something funky going on with the file dates.

I just used the touch command to set the dates to something sane, and I suspect that will solve the problem.  It appears that rsync have been looking at 1903 vs 2040 and saw that the dates differ, but couldn't set them to match for whatever reason.