[CentOS] Could not complete SSL handshake to Amazon EC2 host

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:05:06 UTC 2015

> >And I made sure the local firewall was stopped, because I am blocking
> ports
> >with the security groups instead.

> As an aside, I wouldn't do this unless running in a VPC as there are
> other hosts in the general cloud and many are malicious.

Hmmm... you make an excellent point! I picked up this habit from an AWS
shop I used to work at. But what you just said will make me reconsider!

> >It's only when checking from the monitoring host that nrpe fails:

> Check /var/log/messages to see if xinetd says anything.

I tailed /var/log/messages while hitting the client with check_nrpe from
the monitoring host. However, that didn't cause an entry in the messages
log.

> Also nrpe needs
> to be told from where connections are allowed whether running under an
> inetd or self-daemonized.

Yep! I've set the only_from to have only the loopback address and the IP
for the monitoring host in /etc/xinetd.d/npre.

> Also check the NRPE reviews on exchange.nagios.org, where the issue is
> discussed.

Cool! Thanks. I'll check it out, and see if I can find anything useful.

I appreciate the input!

Also I really appreciate the ongoing dialog with the community on this
issue. I'm grasping at straws at this point. And all the attempts at help
have been really great! I hope we can still get to the bottom of this!

Tim

--
GPG me!!