[CentOS] can't disable tcp6 on centos 7

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon May 4 12:35:08 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-03 6:55 pm, Tim Dunphy wrote:

>> It's listening on both IPv6 and IPv4.  Specifically, why is that a
>> problem?
>

> The central problem seems to be that the monitoring host can't hit nrpe
> on
> port 5666 UDP.
>
> [root at monitor1:~] #/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
> puppet.mydomain.com
> CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.
>
> It is listening on the puppet host on port 5666
>
> [root at puppet:~] #lsof -i :5666
> COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
> xinetd  2915 root    5u  IPv6  24493      0t0  TCP *:nrpe (LISTEN)
>
> And the firewall is allowing that port:
>
> [root at puppet:~] #firewall-cmd --list-ports
> 5666/udp
>
> But if I check the port using nmap
>
> [root at monitor1:~] #nmap -p 5666 puppet.mydomain.com
>
> Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-05-03 22:51 UTC
> Nmap scan report for puppet.jokefire.com (216.120.250.140)
> Host is up (0.012s latency).
> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
> 5666/tcp filtered nrpe
>
> That port is closed despite the port being allowed on the firewall.
>
> So I thought that the problem was that xinetd was listening to port
> 5666
> only on tcp v6. And when the monitoring host hits the puppet host using
> tcp
> v4 it can't because only tcp v6 is active on that port.
>
> You mention that it's listening on both tcp v4 and v6. But I only see
> v6 in
> that output. How are you determining that
>
> It's a problem because the port does not appear to be open from the
> monitoring host:
>
> [root at monitor1:~] #nmap -p 5666 puppet.mydomain.com
>
> Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-05-03 22:33 UTC
> Nmap scan report for puppet.jokefire.com (216.120.250.140)
> Host is up (0.011s latency).
> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
> 5666/tcp filtered nrpe

I see that there's been quite a bit of discussion on this issue,
already, but I don't believe I've seen anyone note/mention this:

The above does not indicate that the port is closed...the above
indicates that the port is open but is being filtered by your firewall
rules.

You might want to also check your firewall rules to ensure that port
5666 is allowing connections from the client system(s) in question.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever
just stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1