[CentOS] VirtIO drivers and CentOS 5.4(Final)

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed May 6 15:20:36 UTC 2015

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> <rant>
>
> I have a couple of boxes with NVIDIA cards and fancy screen setup. I have
> to use NVIDIA proprietary driver, open source driver does not support
> configuration. Darn Nvidia never released enough information about their
<snip>
> Now, back to my boxes. NVIDIA declared these fancy cards obsolete (the are
> only about 6 years old, and hardware still does appropriate job for what
> we need). There is no proprietary NVIDIA driver which you can install with
> latest kernels (latest speaking CentOS 6 kernels). You know you have to
> compile kernel interface for their binary driver. No way: no updated
> binary driver for these my obsoleted by NVIDIA cards. So, NVIDIA locked me
> on these boxes to older kernel.
<snip>
> </rant>

There is a proprietary driver package that you can build that will support
them. I have a Guadro 4000 aka GL100GL on my workstation, and am running
6.6 current, and NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.40.run, which you can still d/l
from NVida's site, for it (I need the proprietary for two screens).

Hope that helps.

       mark