[CentOS] Backup PC or other solution

Michael Schumacher michael.schumacher at pamas.de
Thu May 7 06:35:08 UTC 2015

Hello Alessandro,

> I'm new with backup ops and I'm searching a good system to accomplish this
> work.

Everybody has its favorite backup program, but why rely on only one system?

I have to backup 8 servers and use three backup systems in parallel.

-- BackupPC. Easy to use, nice user interface with graphical recovery
of individual files. A pain to set up, basically, all errors in setup
give the same error message. Reduces used space by hardlinks. Data
structure is not transparent, so no recovery by browsing the storage
directories.
-- storeBackup. easy to use, easy to set up, but no nice user
interface. Reduces used space nicely by using hardlinks. Used as
second line of defence. Stores 1:1 copies of original filesystem, so
easy browsing.
-- tar. Used for disaster recovery. Produces large dumps. Only use it
for system data, not for user data.

Span all three systems on two independent backup machines. Put these
backup servers into independent locations and sleep better :-)

 best regards
---
Michael Schumacher