[CentOS] Backup PC or other solution

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Thu May 7 15:56:36 UTC 2015

--On Thursday, May 07, 2015 06:41:03 PM +0300 Jussi Hirvi
<greenspot at greenspot.fi> wrote:

> But why rotate drives? Big drives are not very expensive nowadays.

1. Redundant copies.

2. Sometimes your filesystems are larger than the largest drives.
   For example, I'm currently seting up backups for a 24TB filesystem
   where a network-based DR is not feasible (the average rate of
   churn exceeds the available network bandwidth).  Good luck trying
   to find drives that big.

I had a sense of deja vu the other day; I was taken back to the time
when I first ran into a filesystem that was larger than the size
of a backup tape and the software I was using at the time (Amanda)
had the assumption that a single filesystem was smaller than a single
tape.  (I understand they fixed that assumption shortly thereafter,
but I had already moved on to another product.)

For the record, my favourite product is Bacula.

Devin