[CentOS] Strange network failure on C6

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri May 15 14:58:12 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 16:09, Fred Smith wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm running C6 (up to date) on x86-64. have been running on the same
> system for over a year.
>
> a couple of times lately access to the outside network has suddenly
> stopped working for reasons that I didn't figure out until it happened
> again yesterday.
>
> I had the time to fool with it, yesterday, so after quite a bit of
> head-banging I found that it had no default route set up (to make this
> story less long...).

On CentOs-6 you can set the default route using
GATEWAY=aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd either in /etc/sysconfig/network or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-X where X is the network
interface that you wish to use for default routing, usually eth0.
Setting the GATEWAY value in the ifcfg-X file puts it in a place that
you are likely to see far more often than /etc/sysconfig/network so
the ifcfg-X file is where I usually place it.

Canada  L8E 3C3