[CentOS] Turning off wifi in CentOS 7

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue May 19 17:38:13 UTC 2015

On 5/19/2015 10:24 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> On 19 May 2015 11:40, <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:
>>

>> Or if you want a bigger hammer:
>>
>> systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
>> systemctl enable network.service
>> systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
>> systemctl start network.service
>>
>> The above will disable NetworkMangler and return control of the network to
>> the scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts just like previous versions.
>>
> Of course that goes against the RH recommendations, works against you if
> you want to do RHCSA/RHCE at some point, and has a few other issues too...
>
> It's that behaviour that lead me to write this recently:
>
> https://www.hogarthuk.com/?q=node/8
>
> There is the right time to use the old network service. EL6 or a couple of
> very specific edge cases. Otherwise you are effectively hurting yourself to
> some extent.

Great post. I am just in the process of building my first CentOS 7 host
and was wondering whether to use NetworkManager. You've swayed me. I've
always disabled it on CentOS 6. Your point about these new funky device
names is really good. I will miss my simple eth0 and eth1 but tech moves on.

Definitely a learning curve with nmcli. Right now I'm at the "Argh!
WTF!" phase but I'm sure I'll get over it. I got over it with selinux
once I made the decision to *not* to disable selinux on all my new
CentOS 6 hosts.

You should move your post onto the wiki.

Kirk