[CentOS] Turning off wifi in CentOS 7

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue May 19 17:54:12 UTC 2015

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> On 5/19/2015 10:24 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
>> On 19 May 2015 11:40, <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:

>>> Or if you want a bigger hammer:
>>>
>>> systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
>>> systemctl enable network.service
>>> systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
>>> systemctl start network.service

To respond to this, my manager wants us to deal with 7 the way that is
recommended, so the smaller hammer worked well.
<snip>
>> Of course that goes against the RH recommendations, works against you if
>> you want to do RHCSA/RHCE at some point, and has a few other issues
>> too...
>>
>> It's that behaviour that lead me to write this recently:
>>
>> https://www.hogarthuk.com/?q=node/8
>>
>> There is the right time to use the old network service. EL6 or a couple
>> of very specific edge cases. Otherwise you are effectively hurting
yourself
>> to some extent.

Excerpt I *still* see absolutely no use in an enterprise environment,
where we're *all* wired, even the laptops when folks bring them in. This
improves throughput and security, of course.

> Great post. I am just in the process of building my first CentOS 7 host
> and was wondering whether to use NetworkManager. You've swayed me. I've
> always disabled it on CentOS 6. Your point about these new funky device
> names is really good. I will miss my simple eth0 and eth1 but tech moves
> on.

And that one drives me nuts. It breaks PXE boot kickstart builds. Maybe
*you* have all same model systems from the same manufacturer; we've got
boxen from...<thinking> at least five or six manufacturers, of varying
ages, from the 10+ yr old Altix 3000 from SGI, to the current one from
SGI, to my 5 yr old Dell workstation, to some old Penguins and several
Suns (soon to set, the sooner the better...). How do you deal with
everything from em1 to ens3f0, which comes up *only* after you start to
install.... In what conceivable way is this better than having your
scripts know that eth0 (or even em1) is always going to be how to talk to
the world?
<snip>

        mark "they sound like ham call letters"