[CentOS] Centos 6.6 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket /var/lib/MySQL/MySQL.sock (error 2002)‏

Richard lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
Thu May 21 21:07:03 UTC 2015

------------ Original Message ------------
> Date: Thursday, May 21, 2015 09:43:24 PM +0100
> From: Graham Wilman <gwillman at hotmail.co.uk>
>
>  Hi
>
> Total newby to centos I am currently assisting a community radio
> station set up in the Uk we are using a server based system for
> our playout software, unfortunately at the moment one of our
> client servers is experience the above error I came across the
> error on our main server a few weeks ago and found the solution
> just by reinstalling the MySQL db but I have tried to deploy the
> same fix on our client server otherwise known as studio-b client
> but unfortunately this has not solved the problem any assistance
> with this would be very much appreciated.
> All the best
> Graham Wilman

When you get this error have you confirmed that mysqld is actually
running, e.g., with a "ps"?

What is the output from:

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld status

Normally the socket file is:

  /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

(note the capitalization).

If mysql is running, check the name (including capitalization) of
the socket directory/file. If it's (the standard) lowercase, then
check the client software configuration to see if there's something
pointing to the mixed-case form that your error is showing. [The
default location for the mysql configuration file is /etc/my.cnf,
but it can be in other locations.]

    - Richard