[CentOS] Command line mp3 player

Richard lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
Fri May 22 19:01:02 UTC 2015

------------ Original Message ------------
> Date: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:52:43 AM -0700
> From: Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com>
>
> On May 22, 2015 11:46:23 AM PDT, Bowie Bailey
> <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com> wrote:
>> I have a CentOS 7 server that I want to use as an audio source
>> for our  hold music.  It does not have a GUI installed, so I am
>> looking for a  program with a command line interface that will
>> let me play a folder  full of mp3 files on a continuous loop.
>>
>> MOC seems to do what I want, but I can't find a build for CentOS
>> 7. Is  there another program that I can use for this?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> This something I used years ago:
>
> http://mpg321.sourceforge.net/
>
> Don't know if it works on CentOS 7 anymore.

I think you can do that with mplayer, but you may need to build a
playlist first in order to play more than one file. It just worked
fine, in commandline, playing one specific file. I didn't try to
figure out commandline playlist building.

The nux repository, mentioned at the top of this centos wiki page,
has mplayer (and a bunch of other audio-related things).

 <http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS7>