[CentOS] Command line mp3 player

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri May 22 19:29:47 UTC 2015

On 05/22/2015 12:10 PM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> mplayer is pulling in 83 dependencies!  I think I'll look for something
> a bit more self-contained.

I don't understand that reaction to packaging.  mplayer uses a variety
of libraries to support a large variety of media types.  It doesn't
include servers or SUID binaries, so it doesn't carry a significant
security risk, and it doesn't consume much disk space.  It doesn't make
any more sense that complaining about the number of files in a package.
(NOTE: "filesystem" contains 15000+ files!  DON'T REMOVE IT!)

If you want to support mp3 only, then try mpg123 or madplay
http://www.mpg123.de/index.shtml
http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/