[CentOS] Systemd

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun May 24 23:22:00 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 03:24:59PM -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 5/24/2015 12:22 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> >On 05/24/2015 11:41 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> >>to activate your selected daemon. I just used the new systemd commands,
> >>thinking that would be enough. So I tried that and rebooted. Nope, same
> >>problem:
> >
> >chronyd and ntpd both use UDP port 123, so each will terminate the
> >other when it starts.  If both are enabled, chronyd's unit file
> >indicates that it should start after ntpd, so it will always
> >"win."
> >
> >You probably have both enabled, so the system boots, starts ntpd,
> >then starts chronyd which terminates ntpd.
> >
> >Disable chronyd.
> >

> Yes, indeedy.
>
> $systemctl status chronyd

<big snip>

> Multicast error, but no big deal. ntpq -p is reporting correctly on
> the broadcast servers on my network. Also, I suppose I could have
> just disabled chrony instead of removing it.
>
> I had no idea about chrony and no idea it was installed *and
> activated* by default. So much new stuff to learn in 7.
>
> Thank you Frank and Gordon.

Chrony is actually a useful tool... years and years ago, when Chrony
was young and being maintained by the original author, I ran it here
at home, because I had dialup only. Ran it on a (even then) obsolete
Pentium 90 box that also ran the GPL version of Smoothwall. Configured
PPP to autodial when someone wanted to access the internet, and we're
off to the races. Chrony kept the smoothwall box fairly accurate, and
all the system on the LAN then synced with the smoothwall system.

Chrony is actually designed to be able to work properly on such systems/
networks, where internet connectivity is intermittent, and to do a good
job of keeping the time within a reasonably near facsimile of actual time.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?