[CentOS] was, Re: serious problem with torque, is firefox

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed May 27 16:30:09 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 10:46 am, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> <snip>
>>>
>>> Thanks, Johnny. I *just* posted an apology, that I realized it was an
>>> EPEL issue.... Talk about an "upgrade disaster"! I think the other
>>> admin -
>>> he's been here less than a year, is coming to understand why I'm
>>> paranoid
>>> about some updates, and why we roll out some things stepwise, testing
>>> it
>>> first.... I see he updated firefox
>>
>> <rant>
>> Speaking of which... the last update ("release" or "upgrade" I probably
>> should say, as it is latest version on FreeBSD and on MS Windows I will
>> mean here) has nasty changes: it started "blocking downloads that
>> potentially contain virus or spyware". It blocked download of
> <snip>
> Speaking of firefox, does anyone know how to make that idiocy of "Hi! It
> looks like you haven't run firefox in a while! Want to restart to a New
> Look?!!!" that shows up every time I log in, and doesn't seem to have any
> "no, don't bother me, ever" option?

My way of doing that (which took me about 5 years or so, and it _is_
painful) was: switch away from Firefox. I happen to know the guy in person
(who was student here) who went to Mozilla Foundation as a production
director. He didn't impress me as far as his attitude to software code is
concerned. So, I wasn't much surprised when shortly after he became
production director noticeable change at Mozilla foundation happened. And
as things don't promise to change to decency I finally (5 or 6 years was
long way to this decision!) gave up at least on their browser.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago