[CentOS] New controller card issues

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu May 28 16:12:11 UTC 2015

On 5/28/2015 9:03 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2015 10:46 am, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>>
>> On 5/26/2015 11:07 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Push came to shove - these things gag on a drive > 2TB.
>> I ran into this a couple of years ago with some older 3Ware cards. A
>> firmware update fixed it.
>>
> With 3ware cards depending on card model:
>
> 1. the card supports drives > 2TB
> 2. the card as initially released does not support these drives, but there
> is firmware update after installation of which the card will supports
> drives > 2TB
> 3. The card does not support drives > 2TB, even with latest available
> firmware. (there are really old cards, even though someone may say
> hardware doesn't live this long, I do have them in production as well, and
> to the credit of 3ware I must say: I've never seen one dead - excluding
> abuse/misuse of course).
>
> Just my $0.02
>
> Valeri

Well the 3Ware cards have reached their end of life for me. I just went
through a horrible build that finally hinged on an incompatibility
between a 3Ware card and a new SuperMicro X10-DRI motherboard. Boots
would just hang. Once I installed a newer LSI MegaRaid card, all my
problems went away.

I have used and depended on 3Ware for a decade. I worked with both the
3Ware vendor, which is Avago, and SuperMicro, there is simply no fix. I
suggest everyone stay away from 3Ware from now on.