[CentOS] openvpn and firewalld

Bowie Bailey

Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri May 8 16:06:22 UTC 2015

On 5/8/2015 9:34 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> I am trying to build a new openvpn server based on CentOS7. Everything
> is working fine as long as I disable firewalld.  With firewalld
> enabled, I can connect to the vpn and ping the machines on the
> network, but I am unable to ssh to them.
>
> What I had on my old server with iptables was two simple rules:
>
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s <localnet>/255.255.0.0 -d
> <vpnnet>/255.255.0.0 -j ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s <vpnnet>/255.255.0.0 -d
> <localnet>/255.255.0.0 -j ACCEPT
>
> This allowed all traffic to flow between my vpn subnet and the local
> network.  How can I duplicate this behavior with firewalld?

Replying to myself here, I finally figured out how to do it with direct
rules.  Firewalld on CentOS 7 defaults to a drop rule for the FORWARD
chain which my previous server didn't have.  So I needed to put the
rules in the FORWARD chain rather than the INPUT chain.

The rules may not have been necessary on the old server since FORWARD
defaulted to accept, but they would have worked anyway because the
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT chain was referenced by both the INPUT and FORWARD
chains.

I'm still trying to sort out how to do this using firewalld's normal or
rich rules.  So far, no success.  I'm not sure how to affect the FORWARD
chain with firewalld.

Right now, I have:

# firewall-cmd --direct --get-all-rules
ipv4 filter FORWARD 0 -s <localnet>/255.255.0.0 -d <vpnnet>/255.255.0.0
-j ACCEPT
ipv4 filter FORWARD 0 -s <vpnnet>/255.255.0.0 -d <localnet>/255.255.0.0
-j ACCEPT

So how can I duplicate this behavior without using direct rules?

--
Bowie