[CentOS] nm-applet, wirless, and CentOS 6

Wed May 13 12:28:21 UTC 2015
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

I have a strange problem and I know I am doing things way outside of the box.

First of all I don't like Gnome or really any of the mess-windows flavored
desktop systems and no, I don't like the MacOSX flavored desktop systems (like
Ubuntu's Unity) either.  The 'desktop' system (if you could have called it
that) that I learned on was DEC's 'DecWindows' system on a VAXStation 2000
(under VMS).  This was basically a rebranded Motif system with MWM and used
DEC's *simple* session manager.  I presently use FVWM in MWM compatibilty mode
and a home written session manager written in Tcl/Tk.  I use FVWM's icon box
module to manage the run-time icons for running applications.  I don't have
*any* desktop icons and don't (won't) use a graphical file manager.  The
session manager has a simple customizable menu and a text area (for note
taking and as an output space for launched programs).

I do use a gnome-panel and use nm-applet to manage networking on my laptop.
This works just fine on my older laptop (a Thinkpad X31) running CentOS 5.  I
recently got a newer laptop (a used Thinkpad R500) that I installed CentOS 6
on and set up up much the same.  But there is a problem with nm-applet: it
works for the *wired* network, but not for the wireless.  I *know* that the
wireless NIC is detected and working, since if I fire up the default GNome
desktop it works.  It just does not work with my alternitive setup.  When I
click on the nm-applet little icon, it does list all of the available wireless
networks, but when I select one, *nothing* happens.

I'm guessing I am missing some GNome infrastructure, but I don't know what.  I
am running the gnome settings daemon and I am using dbus-launch to start the
dbus system.  But what else am I missing?  Where should I be looking for
possible error messages?  Is there some flag I can give nm-applet to get
debugging information?  Is there an alternitive applet available?

If it comes down to it, is it possible to run gnome without the graphical file
manager and a different window manager?  Should I just write my own version of
nm-applet from scratch?

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933