[CentOS] CentOS 7, NFS 4, and a non ext4 fs (like zfs)

Tue May 5 22:10:44 UTC 2015
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

I'd like to try to help, but your question is very confusing, and
appears to present conflicting information.

On 05/04/2015 01:09 AM, tballin wrote:
> Right now we need to suspend that because we have some serious issues
> with NFS4 shared ZFS ( kernel module - zfs on linux project ) Volumes
> and CentOS 7 clients.
>
> Our current server are CentOS6.5, if we share a zfs volume and do the
> following on this share:

Are you, here, describing the behavior of a CentOS 6.5 server with a ZFS
volume?  As written, it sounds that way, but the context sounds like
you're describing a CentOS 7 system.

> client A reads/access file "z.txt". Now client
> B replaces (copy, move, unlink+link ) files "z.txt" with a new different
> version and now client A reads/access the file "z.txt" ( and only the
> file - do not do anything which does a "stat" on the file e.g. "cat
> z.txt") the old version/content is read.

I can't tell if you're using "cat" as an example of something that does
or does not stat the file.

It would be helpful if you could describe the specific steps or commands
that you are using to test this condition, what outcome you actually
see, and what outcome you expected to see instead.

> This does not happen with a ext4 share. This also happen with a
> centos7.0 NFS Server and ZFS/XFS.

In a later message, you said that the problem affects ZFS and XFS both,
and appears to be dependent on the NFS version.

Please describe the behavior of the following:

CentOS 7 server, ZFS volume, NFS 4 export to CentOS 7 client
CentOS 7 server, ext4 volume, NFS 4 export to CentOS 7 client
CentOS 7 server, ZFS volume, NFS 3 export to CentOS 7 client
CentOS 7 server, ext4 volume, NFS 3 export to CentOS 7 client

Script the test on the client side if possible to reduce any other
variables.

> mount/share option - it always happens. Nothing does help. This does not
> happen with a Centos7.1 server and a centos7.1 client and xfs (NFS4.1).

Earlier you said that it DOES happen with xfs.  This is why your request
is confusing.