[CentOS] VirtIO drivers and CentOS 5.4(Final)

Wed May 6 08:04:54 UTC 2015
Jatin Davey <jashokda at cisco.com>

On 5/6/2015 1:18 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 06.05.2015 um 09:33 schrieb Jatin Davey <jashokda at cisco.com>:
>> My guest is a CentOS 5.4 VM:
>
> Best practice: update to the latest OS version:
>
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.11 (Final)
>

>> [root at localhost ~]# uname -a
>> Linux localhost 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 03:28:30 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> [root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/*release
>> CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
>>
>> I wanted to know if the virtio drivers on this guest are stable.
>
> Latest kernel package is stable:
>
> # rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.18-404.el5
>

>> The reason for asking this question is that i found this link:
>>
>> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio
>>
>> which states that in order to use the virtio drivers i need to be using the kernel >=2.6.25 ,
>> but i am using the kernel version 2.6.18 in my guest VM. I am actually able to use the virtio
>> drivers in my VM even with this kernel version and hence i wanted to know if they are stable to be used.
>>
>> Did red hat backport these drivers to CentOS 5.4 ? If yes , Can you please point me to any bug to
>> track this backport activity or any announcement of this backport task ?  I need that to show to my
>> team so that we can release note this information as part of releasing our product.
>>
>> Appreciate your help in this regard.
>
> # rpm -q kernel --changelog | grep -i virtio | grep -i backp
> - [virtio] console: Backport driver for RHEL 5.6 (Amit Shah) [620037]
>

> --
> LF

Thanks Leon,

I cannot upgrade the OS in the guest as it is being used in production
environments and customers would not be comfortable with the entire OS
upgrade.

This is the output that i get when i check about the backporting of the
virtio drivers.

***********************
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -q kernel --changelog | grep virtio
- [xen] virtio: do not statically allocate root device (Mark McLoughlin
) [501468]
- [xen] virtio: add PCI device release function (Mark McLoughlin ) [501468]
- [net] virtio_net: mergeable receive buffers (Mark McLoughlin ) [473120]
- [net] virtio_net: jumbo frame support (Mark McLoughlin ) [473114]
- [xen] virtio_net: some relatively minor fixes (Mark McLoughlin ) [468034]
- [xen] virtio: include headers in kernel-headers package (Eduardo
Pereira Habkost ) [446214]
- [xen] virtio: add PV network and block drivers for KVM (Mark
McLoughlin ) [446214]

Do you think if i am safe to keep using the virtio drivers within the
same kernel ?

Thanks
Jatin