[CentOS] VirtIO drivers and CentOS 5.4(Final)

Wed May 6 11:04:33 UTC 2015
lhecking at users.sourceforge.net <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net>

> You have several hundred more Critical or Important security updates
> outstanding.  If that box touches the Internet in any way, it is likely
> compromised.  Just in the last 6 months there are 21 Important or
> Critical updates.

 That is an important qualifier: *If* that box touches the Internet in any way.
 Although one might add that attacks on the LAN can be nastier since there
 usually is local access.

 While I'm all for keeping machines current, there are production environments
 where upgrading is a huge pain or outright impossible. Where any upgrades need
 to undergo a rigorous QA process. Where an outdated  environment including
 equally outdated production tools needs to be maintained, on the chance e.g.
 that a customer return requires reworking an old part. I would consider it
 part of list etiquette to not second-guess those who for one reason or another
 make a conscious decision to stick to a particular environent.

 I will no doubt be told that CentOS 5.4 = CentOS 5.11 = CentOS 5, ie. the
 same OS, but this is not strictly true. For example, it would appear that
 autofs breakage and performance loss is at a minimum in 5.4.

 There :)