[CentOS] Backup PC or other solution

Thu May 7 11:24:13 UTC 2015
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On May 7, 2015 6:05 AM, "Jussi Hirvi" <greenspot at greenspot.fi> wrote:

> I wonder why nobody has yet mentioned rdiff-backup. It combines browsable
directories with multiple versions - the version data is stored in a
separate rdiff-backup-data subdirectory (one per backup task).

> One downside is that rdiff-backup causes a lot of network traffic. For
that reason I currently use rsync to copy over network, and then I use
rdiff-backup locally to create a repository with multiple versions.

> Another system that we use is rdiffweb. It uses rdiff-backup over network
and adds a web interface for clients to browse and restore files or
directories. I did not personally set it up, but it seems to work fine.

      I am one of the people who use rsync with hardlinks. Reason is very
simple and even humble: I built my home backup server around a OpenWrt -
Seagate dockstar if you want to date that - box and an external backup
drive. So I wanted something low resources that did not require me to
install any packages.

That script grew a bit (or a lot) and became my old job's backup code. But,
I admit one think it does miss is having a convenient way to look for a
file, specially if you physically rotate drives. If rdiff-backup will tell
when was the last time a file has been backed up/touched even if drive with
said file is not mounted, I will need to get to learn more about it.