[CentOS] Backup PC or other solution

Fri May 8 17:40:17 UTC 2015
Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com>

On May 8, 2015, at 10:24 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> If a project is backed/picked up by a corporation, say Redhat or
> Oracle, or a foundation, say Apache or LibreOffice, then it may have a
> future more or less independent of any single individual or group.

Commercial software and company-backed F/OSS software gets abandoned all the time.

- OpenOffice may well die due to brain drain from LibreOffice.  They’ve both got big corporate backers.

- The MySQL mailing list is getting a tiny fraction of the traffic it once enjoyed before the Oracle takeover; MySQL won’t go away any time soon for reasons of inertia, but MariaDB and NoSQL are surely taking large bites out of its user base.

- Remember ESD and aRTS?  They’ve all but been killed off by PulseAudio.  They were the “standard” of their time, backed by major Linux distributors.

- How many “standard” window managers has GNOME had over the years?

- How many desktop managers and GUI toolkits preceded GNOME/Gtk?  NeWS, NeXTSTEP, CDE/Motif, Tk, all with big-name support in their day.

- Adobe’s killed off dozens of products over the years.  FrameMaker, Director, Flash Builder, PageMaker, Contribute, Fireworks…

- Got a smartphone?  How many apps have you bought that never went anywhere after they got your money?  There’s more than one in my case, at least.

At least with F/OSS, you have the option of taking over maintainership of an abandoned code base.  My company has done that a few times now, as it was easier to do that than switch to the abandoned package’s replacement.