[CentOS] https everywhere.

Fri May 15 22:36:49 UTC 2015
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 05/15/2015 02:49 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 03:44:39PM -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> What are the plans for the CentOS repos with respect to authentication
>> and https everywhere?  At the moment it is a trivial exercise to
>> perform a MTM attack during a yum update over http.
>
> Since the packages themselves are signed, what risk are you concerned
> about?

Not only are the packages signed, but we're now offering signed
repository metadata as well.

HTTPS is an incremental improvement, but is by no means a silver bullet.
Look at the superfish fiasco if anyone thinks otherwise.

The other side to this is many people update from outside .centos.org.
Who's cert would you use for mirrors.kernel.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/ for
example?

--
Jim Perrin