[CentOS] Upgrading to CentOS 7

Tue May 19 13:00:35 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 05/19/2015 07:43 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I read in <http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool>
>
> "Warning: use of this tool is currently not recommended as several system-
> critical packages are of a higher version number in CentOS 6.6 than they are
> in CentOS 7 so those do not get upgraded correctly. This renders yum and
> several other system tools non-functional."
>
> Does this still hold?
> It seems to me a bit pointless to offer a tool
> with the warning that it does not work.

It is not pointless, some people want to do it.

I would not use it.

To each their own.

The best way to do any major update is to backup your data, install the
OS, bring back your data and make all the newer services (if you are
moving things like databases or web directories, etc.).

Some people want to take shortcuts to this procedure, and with enough
effort, that tool can work.  But to me, there is too much effort and
there are too many older packages left around as clutter, so I would
never do it.

It can be done, however.

Red Hat released this, so we rebuilt it .. that does not mean one should
use it.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes