[CentOS] serious problem with torque

Wed May 27 15:41:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 9:46 am, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 05/27/2015 09:07 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Hi, folks,
>>>
>>>    The other admin updated torque without testing it on one machine,
>>> and
>>> we had Issues. The first I knew was when a user reported qstat
>>> returning
>>> socket_connect_unix failed: 15137
>>> socket_connect_unix failed: 15137
>>> socket_connect_unix failed: 15137
>>> qstat: cannot connect to server (null) (errno=15137) could not connect
>>> to trqauthd
>>>
>>> Attempting to restart the pbs_server did the same. Working with my
>>> manager, we found:
>>>   a) torque had been updated from 2.x to 4.2.10, which is huge.
>>>   b) Apparently, it no longer uses munged. Instead, it uses trqauthd,
>>> and
>>> that wasn't
>>>         in the updated packages.
>>>   c) We could not downgrade!!!
>>>   d) My manager updated from testing, and installed, and then running
>>> trqauthd, and
>>>         restarting pbs_server, it appears to be working again.
>>>
>>> Should I be filing a bug report?
>>
>> You don not mention which version of CentOS you are using, but for
>> CentOS-7 ..
>
> Sorry, it's 6.6.
>>
>> The only torque I see is in epel-testing (which is their unstable
>> branch) .. I would think that is the list for this discussion.  Or did
>> it come from somewhere else?
>>
>> Not that I mind it being discussed here too .. but you might get better
>> results there.
>
> Thanks, Johnny. I *just* posted an apology, that I realized it was an EPEL
> issue.... Talk about an "upgrade disaster"! I think the other admin - he's
> been here less than a year, is coming to understand why I'm paranoid about
> some updates, and why we roll out some things stepwise, testing it
> first.... I see he updated firefox

<rant>
Speaking of which... the last update ("release" or "upgrade" I probably
should say, as it is latest version on FreeBSD and on MS Windows I will
mean here) has nasty changes: it started "blocking downloads that
potentially contain virus or spyware". It blocked download of
pdfforge.org's PDF Creator for me (the last I use for ages). This was last
drop for me in my over 4 years long search for replacement for Firefox.
So, I'm switching away from it. Leaving alone google chrome (which I have
my reservations about which I don't like to go into, so chrome is out of
my consideration), I'm switching to vivaldi on Windows and Linux and to
midori on FreeBSD (and Linux maybe instead of vivaldi)...
</rant>

Valeri

> & t-bird; I'm guessing that the most
> current fixes the updates that broke language, etc, a week or two ago.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247