[CentOS] firewalld being stupid

Fri Nov 6 21:49:10 UTC 2015
Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com>

On Nov 6, 2015 3:31 PM, "Nick Bright" <nick.bright at valnet.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> One of my biggest frustrations with CentOS 7 has been firewalld.
>
> Essentially all of the documentation just flat doesn't work.
>
> One common thing that needs to be done is to change the zone of an
interface, however I've tried:

> firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=internal --change-interface=ens192
> firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=internal --add-interface=ens192
>
> I've also tried setting in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ens192:
>
> ZONE=internal
> ZONE="internal"
>
> No matter what, when firewalld starts, ens192 will be in the public zone.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Why does the documented command structure not work?
>
> --
> -  Nick Bright                                -

Firewalld does physical interfaces, NetworkManager has profiles on top of
them.  NM can specify a zone and communicate it to firewalld - which should
work from your ifcfg edit - but the reverse currently doesn't happen.  Try
with nmcli:

nmcli con modify ens19p0 connection.zone internal

...btw, the insertion of the 'p' was deliberate, I've seen more device
names of that form.  doublecheck your device name too.

--Pete