[CentOS] Poor perfmance of bridged interfaces

Fri Nov 13 19:43:37 UTC 2015
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 11/13/2015 09:15 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> But.... AFAIK, routers divide broadcast domains, and switches (and
> therefore bridges) divide collision domains.

Oh good, Cisco terminology.  :)

I'll be more specific than I was earlier, then.

It's possible to unify two collision domains into a single broadcast
domain with a router, but it's also possible to use a bridge to link
collision domains to create a larger broadcast domain.  Don't get hung
up on that.

The comparison of a Linux bridge to a switch is apt.  You could,
conceptually, connect two PCs to each other using a Linux bridge. You
wouldn't, however, connect two ports on one switch (here, the Linux
bridge) to two ports on another switch.  Doing that creates a loop in
your network.

Linux Ethernet bridges have several uses, so it's not clear what you're
really trying to do.  That is, you've said that you're trying to create
a virtualized Linux bridge, but a bridge is a tool, not a goal in
itself.  What do you expect the bridge to do when you've set it up?